Tag Archives: homicide

AUSTRALIA | Woman plunges to death from Surfers Paradise apartment hours after meeting man via dating app

au3

IT WAS supposed to be a night of casual fun with a man she met online but a woman is now dead after falling 14 storeys from his Surfers Paradise apartment.

The 26-year-old woman was visiting Gable Tostee, 28, at his Avalon apartment after meeting him through an online dating app, believed to be Tinder.

Sources close to the investigation said the pair had been drinking and the woman was seen on the balcony prior to her death.

Police are investigating how she came to be outside after neighbours reported hearing a disturbance coming from the unit.

Homicide detectives have been called in to investigate.

Regional Crime Coordinator Detective Superintendent David Hutchinson said police were treating the death as suspicious as a matter of procedure.

“In all cases like this — any sudden death which can’t be explained — we treat as suspicious right from the start to ensure we determine what occurred,” he said.

Witnesses at the scene recalled hearing a scream and speculated that the woman may have slipped while trying to climb down the outside of the building.

The woman fell from the 14th floor about 2.30am and it is understood a witness contacted police immediately after seeing her fall.

au2

A woman known only as Tania told Channel 9 she had been left traumatised by the incident.

“I heard her screaming once and then she stopped, and then she screamed again and then she stopped again, and then she screamed a third time and after that I heard a bang,” she said.

“It’s terrible, very upsetting.”

Police arrived a short time later but Mr Tostee had left the scene.

He handed himself in to detectives about 11am yesterday and was questioned for over two hours at Surfers Paradise Police Station.

 It is understood he was uncooperative with police during the interview and was later taken to Southport Police Station for forensic testing.

He was released without charge a couple of hours later.

Investigators are looking through CCTV footage from inside and outside the building to help unravel what led to the woman’s death.

Residents of the Avalon hotel woke to find a crime scene at the Wahroonga Place entrance, with Adam Wilson saying he had not heard anything from his 17th floor apartment.

“I had a visitor early in the morning to check the fire alarms and he rang to say he couldn’t get in so that was the first I heard of it,” he said.

“Police asked me a few questions this morning, just who I was and what floor I was on.”

News of the death quickly hit social media, with one person claiming to have heard a loud scream followed by a bang while waiting at a bus stop around the time the woman fell.

Mr Tostee is known to police, masterminding a $30,000 Schoolies fake identification racket in 2004.

Mr Tostee and his friends Ryan Lee Sara and Jeremy James Stahl produced at least 500 fake 18+ cards, which they sold for about $60 each, before they were caught.

The trio was placed on probation but a conviction was not recorded.

At the time Judge John Newton described Mr Tostee as intellectually gifted and advised him to better use his skills in the future.

Source : http://www.couriermail.com.au/

Medical examiner: Police chokehold caused death of Staten Island man Eric Garner

eric

NEW YORK – The medical examiner has ruled that the chokehold of a police officer on a New York City man last month caused his death.

Medical examiner spokeswoman Julie Bolcer said Friday that Eric Garner’s July 17 death has been ruled a homicide.

Bolcer says his death was caused by “the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police.” She says asthma and heart disease were contributing factors.

Garner’s videotaped confrontation with police has caused widespread outcry, and Attorney General Eric Holder has said the Justice Department is “closely monitoring” the investigation into his death.

Source:  http://bronx.news12.com/

Aaron Hernandez | Indicted for double murder in July 2012.

aaron

BOSTON — Aaron Hernandez ambushed and shot to death two men after a chance encounter inside a Boston nightclub, prosecutors said Thursday as they announced new murder charges against the former NFL star, who was already awaiting trial in another shooting death.

The victims in the 2012 killing, Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado, were shot to death in a car as they waited at a red light on a July night in Boston’s South End neighborhood.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley would not elaborate on what happened in the nightclub, other than saying that the encounter “triggered a series of events that ended in the murders.” But he said that after the men left, Hernandez followed in an SUV, then pulled up alongside the vehicle and fired multiple shots from a .38-caliber revolver into the passenger’s side, killing de Abreu and Furtado, and wounding a third man. Two other passengers in the car were uninjured.

 Conley said there was no evidence that Hernandez knew the victims prior to that evening.

Weeks after the double shooting, Hernandez signed a five-year deal worth about $40 million with the New England Patriots and went on to play in 12 games that season. A spokesman for the Patriots said the team had no comment.

Hernandez is already awaiting trial in the June 2013 shooting death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd near Hernandez’s North Attleborough home and is being held without bail after pleading not guilty to murder in Lloyd’s death.

“Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court,” said his lawyers, Charles Rankin and James Sultan, in a statement. Alluding to a news conference held by Conley to announce the charges, the attorneys said they would not try the case in the media.

Conley said the investigation of the Boston killings moved forward after the Lloyd case, which will be tried separately in another Massachusetts court. He noted the discovery in Bristol, Connecticut, of the car Hernandez was driving the night the men died and the recovery of the alleged murder weapon from an unnamed person with ties to Hernandez.

Conley declined to say whether authorities suspected any connection between the Boston and North Attleborough shootings.

Hernandez is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and three counts of armed assault with intent to murder, as well as unlawful possession of the gun used in the attack.

Conley said the notoriety surrounding the former tight end played no role in the way the case was investigated.

“This was never about Aaron Hernandez. This case was about two victims who were stopped, ambushed and senselessly murdered on the streets they called home,” he said.

Tanya Singleton, Hernandez’s cousin, was charged with criminal contempt of court in the indictment returned by a Suffolk County grand jury. Singleton was given immunity to testify before the grand jury but refused, Conley said.

A message left with Singleton’s lawyer was not immediately returned.

Families of the victims have filed civil lawsuits in February against Hernandez seeking $6 million for the wrongful deaths of the two men.

He is expected to be arraigned on the new charges in Suffolk County Superior Court next week.

Hernandez was cut by the Patriots hours after his arrest in the Lloyd case, and coach Bill Belichick later said he was “shocked and disappointed” upon learning of the criminal investigation.

Thursday’s indictment raises the possibility that Hernandez played the 2012 NFL season after killing the two men.

Six weeks after allegedly committing the murders in July 2012, Hernandez received the lucrative contract extension from the Patriots and talked about being inspired by his family to make smart decisions.

“I called [my family] and told them obviously what the contract was, and the basics about it,” he said at the team’s annual charity gala on Aug. 27, 2012. “They were all crying. I was crying right with them. This is probably one of the best days of my life. I’ll remember this day forever. I just hope I keep going, doing the right things, making the right decisions so I can have a good life, and be there to live a good life with my family.”

Upon receiving the deal, Hernandez donated $50,000 to a fund Patriots owner Robert Kraft set up to honor his late wife, Myra, and told reporters he would “live life as a Patriot.”

“[Kraft] didn’t need to give me the amount that he gave me, and knowing that he thinks I deserve that, he trusts me to make the right decisions, it means a lot,” Hernandez said then. “It means he trusts my character, and the person I am, which means a lot, because my mother, that’s how she wanted to raise me.

“They have to trust you to give you that money. I just feel a lot of respect and I owe it back to him. Not only is it $50,000 … it’s more, I have a lot more to give back, and all I can do is play my heart out for them, make the right decisions, and live life as a Patriot.”

Also Thursday, Ernest Wallace, an associate of Hernandez, pleaded not guilty to murder in the shooting death of Lloyd.

Credit: espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10936421